You can’t organize something just once- you have to keep adjusting. Life changes- you buy things, you get rid of things, you add family members, your lifestyle changes and so many other things can happen. But if you create a good system of organization- you can simply tweak it to fit your current needs. That happened to Bethany from Reality Daydream when she created her nursery closet 5 years ago.
Her organizing resolution: to have a home for everything.
Here is what she created when her child was just a baby.
And 5 years later…..
You can see that the overall concept of the closet has stayed the same. She has been able to update the system she originally created to fit her needs as her child grew up. Now I will admit, not every space you organize will work for you 5 years later, but when you do the hard work at beginning- it will pay off in the end!
Things to think about:
- What do you want/need to store in the space?
- How do you want/need to use the space?
- Who will be using the space?
- How do you see the space in a few years? How/who will be using it then?
- Be sure to leave “room to grow”- no matter what you are organizing, you need to leave space for items you may add in the future. Don’t just organize for what you have today.
- Be sure to sort/purge before you organize the space- don’t organize for things you might not keep.
- Organize for the person using the space. Don’t organize how YOU will use it if you aren’t the one using the space- consider the person who will be tasked with maintaining that organization.