Do you struggle with finding things when you need them? Do you have a closet that looks like this— dark, stuffed with mis-matched bins and baskets and hard to access?! We know you do- and we have the solution for you – trust me, you will love the result and it isn’t has hard to accomplish as you think it is. This particular closet is for a client that professional organizer Amanda, from Organize with Amanda ,worked with. Believe it or not – inside this mess are toys, games, dress up and arts and crafts for three little girls.
But in only 3 hours Amanda was able to transform the closet into this:
The goal was for this closet was to be a functional space for the kids to play but also easy for them to clean up and maintain on a daily basis. Before, they could never find toys and the girls didn’t play in the room very often (take another look at the before picture and you can see why!) Now they can play in there every day. The clear containers and labels help them easily find their toys as well as quickly clean up when they are done (every parents dream.) In fact, Amanda went back to the client’s home a few months later and the playroom looked just as it did when she left so the system is working!
How can you accomplish this with your own messy closet?
- Determine how you want to use the space- what is your goal?
- Take everything out of the space.
- Sort and purge what you have taken out. Make piles for toss, donate, fix. Be really honest and toss/donate (or sell) what you know you won’t use. Be even more honest with yourself when you think you are going to fix something. If you don’t fix it within 2 weeks- toss it. (Please don’t donate broken items.)
- Now that you know what you are keeping and what needs to be stored you can purchase containers for the space. Be sure to measure the space before shopping. Also be sure to measure the items you need to store to get the correct container. Make sure to buy enough containers that you won’t over-stuff them right from the start.
- Purchase clear containers that you can see what is inside.
- After you put things away label the containers.
- If something isn’t working, don’t be afraid to change things up a little- make adjustments.
Products similar to those featured in this post (affiliate links) :
click image for more info
Do YOU have an organized space that you are proud of?
We would love to hear from you!
If you need help getting started we have resources to help you.