When asked which area or task is the most difficult to keep organized in their homes, many people say the laundry room. Here are 8 quick tips to make it easier.
- Clearly define your laundry space and have it dedicated to only the task of laundry.
- Use as much of the wall space as you can. Consider shelves, cabinets, rods, hooks and other items that will expand your useable space.
- Sort and label baskets into categories based on how you do your wash; by color, by family member or by clothing type.
- Sort like items together based on their use: pre-treatment, detergent, bleach, fabric softener, etc.
- If you buy in bulk, keep the unopened, or larger containers on a separate shelf and consider transferring to smaller bottles or boxes for ease of use.
- Mesh lingerie bags are great for keeping small items together such as socks or children’s underwear.
- Keep a supply of hangers available near the dryer so you can item immediately.
- Keep a basket or container nearby to collect coins and other found items,. Keep another for unmatched socks, and make sure to have a garbage can in the laundry area.
(For even more great laundry inspiration see or post: How to improve the organization of your laundry room.)