I fully believe that EVERY day should be clean off your desk day- but once a year is better than nothing at all!
Here are a few tips to help you accomplish this task:
- Make sure you have a good place to store the papers coming to and from your desk. The desktop organizer I use is the Like-it Desk organizer. You can see a video of how I use it HERE.
- Make sure you have, and USE, a filing cabinet. Even though many of you want to – you can’t actually keep everything ON your desk. You have to trust your filing system otherwise nothing will work. If the concept of cleaning out your filing cabinet is overwhelming- just scrap it and start over. Get a new cabinet, plan what you need to store in there and move what you need to in to the new system. Here is a video of our filing system tips. The file folders featured in the video are the ones I prefer because not only are they 3 tab folders, but you can change them up as needed. But if you prefer they do make ready made file folder kits that have the labels already done for you.
- Be sure to shred items you no longer need from your desk. Have a shredder, garbage can and recycling bin nearby and use them often.
- And remember that when you have a messy desk at work, it can often be a sign to others that you aren’t competent at your job and they may start passing you over for projects.
- Be very honest with yourself about the projects/paperwork you have on your desk. Will you really ever do that project? Why are you really keeping that paper? What would be the worst thing that could happen if you were to get rid of it- could you get another one? Today so much of the stuff we use is online, that keeping it in paper format- cluttering up your desk, may not be the best solution.
- Take note of the personal items you have cluttering up your desk- too many photos or food items? Take the time today to go through all of the personal items you have and pair them down to make your desk more accessible.
- Make use of the drawers in your desk. Often times the reason the desktop gets so messy is that there is no place else to put things! Clean out your drawers from all the junk, consider a drawer organizer, and put away what you can.
- It has been shown that good lighting, a plant and the color blue can make you more productive so perhaps a small remodel is necessary.
(page contains affiliate links)